Re: non-potential voltage

2) At 08:22 AM 4/19/00 -0400, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Stating K's current law in the familiar form: "In steady
state, the net
current into any point is zero", this is simply a statement
of charge conservation ...

Than at 10:13 AM 4/19/00 -0500, Joel Rauber wrote that this:

is still applicable in transient phases if you allow displacement
current to be included in the use of K current law.

I can go either way on this... you are free choose whether "current"
includes displacement current or not, provided the choice is made
consistently.... But if you include displacement current then K's law is
*not* a statement of charge conservation. Bob's viewpoint is manifestly
inconsistent with Joel's viewpoint.

==================

To reiterate my main point, there are only a few ways of looking at Bob's
"open circuit" with "fringing fields" -- either
a) you add a "virtual" capacitor-element to represent the stray
capacitance which Bob called the "fringing fields", in which case the "open
circuit" node is not really an open circuit (since it is connected to the
virtual capacitor-element), or
b) you don't include the virtual capacitor-element, in which case the
current into Bob's "open circuit" node violates K's law, or perhaps
c) you simply assume the fringing fields have no significant effect on the
circuit, in which case you are agreeing with me that K's laws involve
assumptions and approximations.