Re: non-potential voltage

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Michael Edmiston wrote:

[snip]

It's amazing to me that even though I basically have known and taught points
(1) through (4) for a considerable number of years, this current list
discussion has only now brought point (5) to my attention. I naively called
the induced emf a potential difference without it ever registering in my
mind that this is a contradiction in word usage.

However, now I am no longer sure what words to use. I cannot say I am fond
of John calling this "voltage" because I still view voltage as a slang word
for electric potential difference. I have never seen a definition of
voltage that does not tie it to potential difference. Am I missing
something here?

I have very little expertise in this field, so take the following comments
FWIW.

As long as there is an element in place, the induced emf could lead to a
potential difference across it (e.g., a solenoid or loop where the two
ends are not connected), no? So, we could infer the induced emf by
measuring the potential difference.

I like to say "induced circulation of the E-field" myself. Quite a
mouthful but is this incorrect?

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |