Re: Sacramento, CA

I'm fairly close to the high school teaching scene. I'm a past
president of the BC Section of the AAPT, and I have given many
lectures in high schools around BC. I have a neighbor who is a
retired (early) high school vice-principal. I asked him how
many high school teachers make it to 65. He said "None". It is
not a game I would even consider playing if no one else my age
is doing it, and besides, the work load is considerably more
than what I am used to.

I will continue at the university for little or no money. I
will continue to be involved with bright undergraduates. I
enjoy them, and they seem to enjoy me. They are taking me out
to dinner Tuesday night, and they dedicated their yearbook to
me
<http://www.sfu.ca/physics/ugrad/Yearbook2000/proposed_yearbook_outline.htm>
so
I think I'll stick around. I also enjoy talking physics
with enthusiastic high school teachers, and I'll probably do
more of that after I retire.

Thanks for all the concern; I'm really touched. I didn't mean
to sound like I'm being abandoned by my university. There is
nothing personal in this retirement; everyone has to retire.

Leigh