Re: Center-of-mass system

We're back to another problem resulting from the abolition (by
some) of relativistic mass. As I explained on page 1033 of "In Defense of
Relatistic Mass" (Am. J. Phys. 59 (11), November 1991), "The center of
mass of the system is its center of relativistic mass. However, we can
reconcile both points of view by referring to the center-of-momentum frame
rather than the center-of-mass frame. In the center-of-momentum frame, the
total momentum is zero and the center of relativistic mass is at rest for
particles that only interact through contact forces."

Those conservation laws do NOT hold in general for the
center-of-invariant-mass frame.

Tom Sandin