Re: 2 source interference

At 1:53 PM -0700 4/10/00, Michael Edmiston wrote:
After reading John Denker's and Leigh Palmer's responses, I'll back off
partly from what I said about crossovers. I'll back off from my statement
that the phasing through the crossover is important for this experiment.
Yes, if each speaker of a 2-way systems is getting a sine wave, then the
linear combination of the two is also a sine wave, no matter what the
phasing.

However, I still believe getting the phasing correct is very important for
stereo imaging.

Michael was certainly correct in his statement that the crossover network
will introduce an artificial phase shift between the speakers. I didn't
say that he was wrong; I only meant to say that I didn't think that the
phase shift was responsible for the difficulty encountered in getting an
interference pattern.

The business of "time aligned" speaker systems is a bit of a joke given
the unavoidability of such a phase shift. I have a set of speakers that
are staggered in this manner. It occurred to me that staggering might
make a difference in the delivery of sharp transients, but these are
almost completely delivered by the tweeters anyway, so why worry? In the
end I just decided to put this feature in the same bag with other things
physicists don't understand because they understand physics, like "tube
sound", green ink on CD rims, and "Monster" speaker cables.

I am interested, however, in another high fidelity innovation or two. Is
the Wave Radio sold mailorder by Bose really as startlingly good as its
ads say? Are the small speaker systems marketed by the same outfit good
for imaging, Michael?

(For calibration's sake, when you give an opinion, please include also
your opinion of, say, "Monster" speaker cables. I like to use my
religious prejudices as discriminators in these matters, and i really
don't know very much about modern audio equipment - except "Monster"
speaker cables!)

Leigh