Re: Teaching for tests, was PHYS-L Digest

Hugh Haskell wrote:

... We can teach to the test and what the students will
learn is how to take that particular test and precious little
else. ...

It does not have to be so, unless those who prepare tests
are idiots. Tests which motivate to learn important things
can be written each year without allowing teachers to know
the content.

Other boys knew how to swim but I did not. So
I pretended. Jumping on one leg I was splashing
energetically with another while my hands were
engaged in the expected kind of motion. After a
week or so I was really swimming.