A trivial comment

Michael Edmiston wrote:

.... I always find his errors quickly. I still don't do C++. ...

Interesting; this would not be possible in debugging an essay
about Plato, written in Greek, without knowing that language.

So why was Michael able to help his son? Because they
communicated in a metha-language, probably plain English
or a flowchart. Without this communication would not be
possible. Thus his word "always" is questionable; many
C++ errors would be impossible to discover for somebody
who knows nothing about C++. From the little I know
object oriented languages are very different from those
which were popular up to about ten years ago.
Ludwik Kowalski