Re: PSEUDO-SCIENCE ?

brian whatcott wrote:

At 14:11 2/27/00 -0500, you wrote:
Is it fair to assume that most people are not horrified by the
attempt to consider mathematics to be a science? I expected
a lot of objections but nobody commented on the attempt

It was Gauss who called Math, "the Queen of the Sciences."
I expect it could be argued he had an interest in the matter
(Natural Philosophy Envy?) as he was an exceptional mathematician.

My brother (mathematician) likes to argue that math is the only true
science... though I think its partly that he just likes to argue and
partly that he likes to make fun of those who write definitions of
science which exclude everybody except thmselves and their colleagues
(e.g. "discovering new particles is science, everything else is messing
with the details").

Doug Craigen
http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~dcraigen