Re: What Hath Einstein Writ?

I was going to put a question to the list on this topic, so I'm following
the discussion with some interest. The question of what to do about rest
mass/relativistic mass vs just mass came up at an IB workshop recently when
we were discussing terminology to be recommended in the new program under
development. Given that I have yet to see an introductory text that uses
the new terms, I find it hard to decide what to do.

At the workshop in question a colleague maintained that the rest
mass/relativistic mass terminology had been shown to be wrong, leading to a
spurious factor of 2 in certain derivations, so that the question was not
merely one of semantics. Promised e-mailing of references has not occurred.
Does anyone know what he was on about?

Mark

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic,