Re: Just what is a particle?

In the context of what Hugh wrote (see below) we can say that the
word particle represents an abstract idealization of an object. It
ignores everything about the real object (temperature, size, color,
smell, etc.) except the location of the center of mass and the mass
itself. That is what David wrote this morning. And it is probably
enough for a high school student. A car can be treated as a particle
in one problem, as a rigid object in another problem, and as a
flexible object in the third problem.

Other attributes, such as charge or velocity, are often associated
with the concept (we say "charged particle" or "swift particle").
The spinning, on the other hand, is not consistent with the simple
idea of a point-like particle, in classical physics.
Ludwik Kowalski

Hugh Haskell wrote:

So far, I don't disagree (much) with anything anybody has written
about this topic. but I think it is important that we remember just
how it got started. It was written in response to a high school
student's question forwarded to PhysShare by the student's teacher.
Everything people have said about particles and photons is
technically correct, but to involve the student to whom I was
responding in this discussion would, I think, just serve to confuse
him or her further, and therefore, I chose to minimize the
wave-particle duality issue in the interests of getting to a concrete
answer to the student's question.