Re: Just what is a particle?

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Cliff Parker wrote:

Well said. I was wondering exactly the same thing. Can an eye "feel"
anything but particles? An interaction with one molecule in the retina
sure seems particle like to me. I guess if we just stopped detecting
(touching) these light quanta we could simplify things and just call
light a wave. I suggest a moratorium on photon detection. Just to see
how things work out.

Here's my own personal (i.e. crackpot) theory:

Photon dies screaming
http://www.amasci.com/freenrg/sukdynam.html

There IS a way that broad ripples of EM waves can trigger transient
absorbtion events, as if a particle had struck an absorber. I suspect
that portable AM radios employ similar physics, but I've not yet tried any
experiments.

If the oscillating fields in the nearfield region of an electrically-small
resonating dipole circuit can "suck energy" from longwave radiation, and
if the dipole oscillations are themselves created by interactions with
that radiation, then a runaway reaction becomes possible. The more energy
absorbed, the stronger the dipole oscillation, which leads to stronger
absorbtion. If an inert dipole has a sharp resonance, then when it's
illuminated with EM, maybe it can suddenly wake up and "grab" a finite
nonlinear clump of energy from a long EM wavetrain. Once "full", it stops
absorbing. Very photonlike, but with no photons needed. This doesn't
explain Planck's constant though.

more musings on "energy-sucking antennas"
http://www.amasci.com/tesla/tescv2.html

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com