Re: off topic: language, long

----- Original Message -----
From: Zach Wolff <zachary_wolff@YAHOO.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: off topic: language, long

. . . . The rules we are
taught are not the reason we can communicate, and
communication would not fall apart without them.
People learn lanuage naturally. I don't have a
reference, but I believe that all healthy children can
speak intelligibly BEFORE they receive any formal
education. . . .
Zach

As a grade-schooler I was struck by the common approach of the disciplines
"grammar" and "physics".
Untutored language is a natural phenomenon. Grammarians study this
phenomenon and invent models (grammar) for their own understanding. The
parallel to the study of physics is evident - the big difference is that
the grammarians have the power to impose their tastes upon the object of
their study.

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)