Re: alternatives to Halliday?

Many of us have asked the same question, and found nothing, or very
little. I've used the Physics by Inq workbook materials, but have had to
give up some lab time to do it...a less than satisfactory solution. I've
also used some of Rief, but find the entire book to formal for me.

Since book publishing is driven by book sales, the publishers are very
wary of changing something which sells. I think the new Serway and
Beichner is a good first step for a main-line publisher. Perhaps if lots
of folks who are not using it were to complain to their booksales person
that what they are using is not as "modern" as S & B, and perhaps even
ordered it instead, we might encourage publishers to change.

I like Sherwood and Chabay's E&M, and thought of using their Mechanics,
but found after a brief discussion that they assume some understanding of
kinematics and dynamics that most of my students don't have. Of course
each of use is in a different place...if it fits, I think it is a good
choice.

As John Gastineau indicated, these alternative texts can be a problem for
conventional students, especially those who are good at the traditional
academic game. However, I find that if I am overt about what I am doing
in the classroom, and remind them occasionally, that I can "sell" them on
the value of what they and I are doing together.

One last thought...perhaps the place to look is not the textbooks
themselves since they are linked to profits. Currently publishers are
pointing to web-sites linked to the texts. Perhaps that is the place that
the results of educational research could be more easily implemented...

Carl, are you there? any comments?

cheers,

joe