Re: alternatives to Halliday?

<Does anyone have any suggestions for engineering physics texts that are
<more reform-
<oriented than Halliday and provide better support for active learning?
<I'm tempted
<to switch to Reif's Understanding Basic Mechanics for the first
<semester, but I'm worried
<that the dry, mathematical style won't go over well, and I feel the
<relentlessly deductive
<approach is sometimes inappropriate

I used Reif for a year in an engineering-physics course, and the result was
mixed. The book is a tough read and so is a tough sell to a class of
first-year students. The workbook has great problems, however, and could prove
an excellent resource for you.

You might look at Serway, which is now Serway and Beichner. This is sort of a
stealth-reform book, as it is a mainstream book that has been edited by a
member of the PER community, Bob Beichner of North Carolina State University
(disclaimer--I used to teach with him there).

This new edition has suggestions for quick activities, references to relevant
PER literature in the instructor's edition, additional in-class quizzes, and
it also discusses common misconceptions in the instructor's version.

I've not taught from it as I'm no longer in the classroom. Were I choosing a
text for a new course, I'd seriously consider this one. It is research-based
without being obviously different such as Reif or Chabay-Sherwood. Having
taught from such obviously different books, I know that there is a set of
students who will not adapt well to alternative presentations. (I even had one
student and his parents complain to a dean when I was teaching from
Chabay-Sherwood. The student claimed I was forcing him to complete an
unfinished textbook!)

Bob lurks here at phys-l, so perhaps he will provide some further comments on
how his edition is different from other books.

JEG

John E. Gastineau john@gastineau.org
953 National Road, #163 (304) 243-9636 voice
Wheeling WV 26003-6440 (304) 243-9637 fax
USA http://gastineau.home.mindspring.com