alternatives to Halliday?

Does anyone have any suggestions for engineering physics texts that are
more reform-
oriented than Halliday and provide better support for active learning?
I'm tempted
to switch to Reif's Understanding Basic Mechanics for the first
semester, but I'm worried
that the dry, mathematical style won't go over well, and I feel the
relentlessly deductive
approach is sometimes inappropriate -- for both pedagogical and
scientific reasons.
The workbook looks great, though!

I would consider using vol. 1 of Knight if I thought I could get away
with it, but it's
marketed as more of a one-year, physics-for-biology-majors-with-calculus

sort of book.

Has anyone had any luck incorporating any of the Physics by Inquiry
materials
into an engineering physics course, or supplementing a Hallidayesque
text with
a conceptual workbook of some kind?

Could anyone share their experiences with Reif or Knight, or suggest any
other
possibilities?

Ben Crowell
Fullerton College