Re: friction

Yes unless the tires are completely unused. The increased area will result
in a less worn part of the tire (and, therefore, have a higher coefficient
of friction) contact the ice. OTH, if the above effect is minor, the result
may be worse. Reciprocity may not be 100%. I can imagine that higher
pressure may distort the ice, so that the coefficient of friction may be
greater with higher pressure.

Reminds me of the "hayseed" who recommended to the truck driver of a truck
stuck under an insufficient clearance bridge. "Let a little air out of the
tires."

bc

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

Suppose that your car is stuck on ice. thje wheels spin but the car does
not move. Your friend suggests that you let some air out of your tires to
increase the amount of friction.

Does this make sense?