From: "Chuck Britton" <britton@ACADEMIC.NCSSM.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: Entropy

I've been interested in the SETI project for a while and actually
'ran' some of the data analysis on my desktop computer.

Does anybody have any clue as to how the program identifies
'potential hits' as distinct from the 'random noise'?

We gotta be talking about Shannon entropy rather than 'micro-states'
or else all signals would have equal probability and the whole SETI
notion would be bogus. (perhaps it IS bogus?)
.-
Chuck Britton Education is what is left
when
britton@academic.ncssm.edu you have forgotten