astroed-l international listserver

ASTROED-L
This is to announce that the listserver for astronomy education,
astroed-l, now exists. Astroed-l is meant to complement the more
general discussions on phys-l, by providing an extra forum focussed
on astronomy education.

Astroed-l functions (I hope!) in a very simolar fashion to phys-l,
except that we don't yet have a browser-based archive system.
Astroed-l is presently being hosted by the Centre for Astrophysics &
Supercomputing here at Swinburne University of Technology.

For those interested in subscribing, setting it up was suspiciously
easy, so do be patient if there are teething problems. The
instructions are:

To subscribe, email
majordomo@swin.edu.au
with no Subject heading and no signature file.
The message should read (remove quotes):
"subscribe astroed-l [email address]"
Please substitute your email address for [email address] and remove
the brackets.

To make postings to all astroed-l subscribers, email
astroed-l@swin.edu.au

As it's difficult to start a conversation until others are in the
room, I'm suggesting that we don't start making postings till Monday
14 January in our respective time zones, but that those of you who are
interested should subscribe before then. Then from Monday 14th on,
you may want to consider making a brief (non-compulsory!) posting
about yourself, your astronomy education interests, and any topic
you'd like to discuss, to start the ball rolling.

We welcome postings about all things to do with astronomy education &
astronomy ed. research, at primary, secondary and post-secondary
level. I'm hoping that this will be both a useful forum for lively
debate & information exchange among 'experts' plus a place where
'beginners' in astronomy ed. at any level feel comfortable about
asking questions or make comments.

This is an experiment - at present we have about 30 or so people
interesting in taking part. To sustain the discussions, we'll need to
increase those numbers, so please publicise it widely to academics &
teachers alike!

Cheers
Margaret Mazzolini

Dr. Margaret Mazzolini,
Astronomy Course Coordinator
Swinburne Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
BSEE, Swinburne University of Technology
P.O. Box 218, Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
email: mmazzolini@swin.edu.au
phone: (61 3) 9214 8084 fax: (61 3) 9214 8797

Visit Swinburne Astronomy Online, online courses in Astronomy
http://www.swin.edu.au/astronomy