Re: Hot water in microwave

Nah!

There's a fan to bring in fresh air from the kitchen and blow the cooking
fumes out. (It also "powers' the fan that changes the standing wave
pattern.) That's how we know the food's done.

I think it's stored heat in the container. (Another stab.)

bc

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

Hugh Haskell <hhaskell@MINDSPRING.COM> writes:
>Maybe someone can explain to me how vigorously boiling water can be
hotter than 100° C,

Here's a stab in the dark....

The temperature at which water boils depends on the water purity and
the air and vapor pressure above the water surface.
In the confines of a microwave oven, it is possible that the pressure
inside the oven rises a bit above that of the exterior air. Thus,
when the oven is opened, the pressure on the surface of the hot ,
previously boiling, water is suddenly reduced and the water boils for
a short time until the pressure is equalized again.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we "stab in the dark" when we are unsure of anything ...
and in this case, we are really, truly, very, very unsure)