Re: convert light into energy

Leigh Palmer wrote:

... Energy is not a thing; it is not real. It is just a number
that we calculate by canon. ...

The same is true for temperature, force, speed, acceleration,
mass, charge, angle, number, wavelength, color, etc. We invent
concepts to describe things (real objects) and their interactions.
How can a physicist disagree with this?

Whoa! I think you go too far. While "mass" may not be real, matter
is quintessentially material, and mass is pretty close to synonymous
with matter - quantity of matter, I'll grant you - but saying mass
isn't real is of no help in explaining the world to students; it is
at best a semantic point. My point is far from semantic, I hope to
tell you! I also have a problem with charge, which I have admitted
to my own mundane realm of real things. Charge is locally conserved,
a really big point in favor of its reality.

Leigh

(Quintessentially material - did he really say that (snicker)? Yeah,
I said it, but I take it back. It's so good I have to leave it for
all to see, however. Of course I should have said "fundamentally
material". English is fun!)