Re: Sig Figures

I have found this thread very instructive -- not really about sig figs, but
about how members of the list deal with new material:

After the original question there was a plethora of responses the likes of
"Well I have always done it this way." Then someone (I think it was Leigh)
who says "No No No That ain't correct. (With whom I agree BTW) Then the
thread divides into two paths: one, which says something like "This is the
way I have always done it and that is good enough for me. Or "I read it in
a text which was published in 1902 and therefore it must be correct." And
the other path, which was taken by only one or two who made an analysis of
the proposal and came to some conclusion based on thought. (I don't
remember who they were as the quotes of quotes of quotes became too deep to
follow.)

However, no one responded with "Oh, yes, that _is_ a better way to look at
the issue. I will strive to adopt it in my thinking and teaching."

Now folks, if we are not here to gain new insights into the teaching of
physics, why are we here? Well, yes, some are here because they want to
show off how much physics they know and would otherwise be bored to death
-- and, alas, some are here because they want desperately to learn -- to
get questions answered so they can become better teachers.

But most of us are Luddites who have nothing better to do.

I can't tell you how much better I feel now.
Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen