Re: Sig Figures

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 10:51:26 -0500 Richard Bowman
<rbowman@BRIDGEWATER.EDU> writes:
Here are a few comments on sig fig's.

...... Thus my jumping up onto my desk while asking students how far
I am from the center of
the Earth makes no difference in the answer, if the distance to the
center of
the Earth is given as 6378 km.
6378 km
+ 0.001 km
6378 km

This is an interesting demo .... but I'm wondering how many physics
teachers are really able
to jump vertically a distance of one meter to the top of their desk.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where our aging teaching staff would be happy to jump up only half
of a meter to their desk)