Re: Ice Spires.

I finally reined in the relevant tables:
Relative Density & Volume of Water p2114, 40th Ed (Ref 1)
Ditto p1789, 32nd Ed (Ref 1)

...to see with Bob that liquid water continues to expand as
temperature drops below zero degC , while solid water apparently
contracts as temperature drops, according to ref 2 which gives
a linear expansivity for water ice of 50.7 parts per
million (I suspect it is this latter datum that might specially
interest John Locke)
This second reference notes temp of maximal density for heavy
water is 11.6 degC

Ref 1 HCP Chemical Rubber Publishing
Ref 2 Physical & Math Tables, Yarwood & Castle, Macmillan

Brian