Re: Quantum question?

I not at all an expert, but I think that the Bohm interpretation of QM
may speak to this in a different way...Jim Cushing at Notre Dame would
be the guy to ask.

joe

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Jack Uretsky wrote:

The uncertainty principle is a statement about quantities that
are Fourier transforms of each other; it applies to any kind of signal
processing as well as quantum mechanics. There are deep relationships
between members of such pairs as time/energy or position/momentum, that
I will not try to get into in this posting.
The content of the uncertainty principle - in the language of
of a Fourier transform pair such as time and frequency is that a finite
range of frequencies can only give a signal that has limited "sharpness"
in time. Conversely, a signal that lasts for a only a limited time must
contain a large range of frequencies.
It was probably Dirac who first realized the relationship between
Heisenberg's uncertainy principle and the Fourier transform relationship.
His Quantum Mechanics book is still a wonderful exposition of the subject
for mature readers.
Regards,
Jack

Adam was by constitution and proclivity a scientist; I was the same, and
we loved to call ourselves by that great name...Our first memorable
scientific discovery was the law that water and like fluids run downhill,
not up.
Mark Twain, <Extract from Eve's Autobiography>