Re: Something to keep in mind!

I was born in 1980 and feel I have to stick up for my
generation. This list insults our early childhood
memories as well as our knowledge of recent history.
I have included individual comments below. Yes, times
have changed. No, kids today aren't from another
planet.

--- "Shapiro, Mark" <mshapiro@EXCHANGE.FULLERTON.EDU>
wrote:
The following might be useful to help put your
students in perspective as
the new semester
starts....

Mark Shapiro
http://www.IrascibleProfessor.com

especially for you people with children...

Just in case you weren't feeling
too old today,
this will certainly change things.

Each year the staff at
Beloit College in
Wisconsin puts
together a list to try to give the faculty a
sense of the mindset of
that year's
incoming freshmen.
Here is this
year's list:

The people who are starting college
this
fall across the nation were born in
1980.

They have no meaningful recollection of
the
Reagan Era and probably did not know he
had
ever been shot.

Admittedly my memories are vague, but the shooting is
common knowledge.

They were prepubescent when the Persian
Gulf War was waged.

True, but I remember watching the newscasts and
calling friends when I heard that the first shots were
fired.

Black Monday 1987 is as significant
to them
as the Great Depression.

There has been only one Pope.

They were 11 when the Soviet Union
broke
apart and do not remember the Cold War.

I remember.

They have never feared a nuclear war.

I was scared. I'm still scared of India and Pakistan.
The threat of nuclear war didn't disappear with the
USSR.

They are too young to remember the
space
shuttle blowing up.

My 1st grade class watched it on TV. I think the
emotional reaction of 25 confused kids and a teacher
was just as intense as what any adults got from it.

Tianamen Square means nothing to them.

Again, I may not remember, but I am educated.

Their lifetime has always
included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off
and
plastic.

Atari predates them, as do vinyl
albums.
The expression "you sound like a broken
record" means nothing
to them.

Albums haven't been popular in my lifetime, but I love
my dad's old vinyl and everyone still knows the
phrase.

They have never owned a record
player.

They have likely never played Pac Man
and
have never heard of Pong.

Pac Man is an arcade classic that everyone has played.
Anyone with even a surface knowledge of video games
has heard of Pong, though few my age have played it.

They may have never heard of an 8
track.
The Compact Disc was introduced
when they were 1 year old.

As far as they know, stamps have
always
cost about 32 cents.

I remember 25 cents, but nothing before that.

They have always had an answering
machine.

Most have never seen a TV set with
only 13
channels, nor have they
seen a black-and-white
TV.
They have always had cable.

I've never had cable, but I guess that makes me an
oddball even today.

There has always been VCR's, but they
have
no idea what BETA is.

I remember the thrill of getting our first VCR, and
though I don't remember BETA I'm educated enough to
know what it is (or was).

They cannot fathom not having a
remote
control.

The VCR mentioned above did have a remote control, but
it was attached with a cord.

They were born the year that Walkmen
were
introduced by Sony.

Roller-skating has always meant
inline for
them.

I owned a couple of pairs of wheel skates when I was
younger. Never owned inline.

Jay Leno has always been on the
Tonight
Show.

My Grandma used to let me stay up late to watch Johnny
Carson.

They have no idea when or why
Jordache
jeans were cool.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the
microwave.

They have never seen Larry Bird
play.

Little kids do watch basketball. I remember his
retirement.

They never took a swim and thought
about
Jaws.

You're underestimating the power of the VCR's you
mentioned above. I was terrified.

The Vietnam War is as ancient history
them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War.

They have no idea that Americans
were ever
held hostage in Iran.

WE'RE YOUNG BUT WE DO KNOW SOME HISTORY!

They can't imagine what hard contact
lenses are.
They don't know who Mork was
or where he
was from.

I remember Mork and hs home planet of Ork.
Syndication is a wonderful thing.

They never heard: "Where's the
beef?", "I'd
walk a mile for a Camel," or "de plane,
de plane!"

Heard all 3, even if it was only in parodies.

They do not care who shot J.R. and
have no idea who J.R. is.

I don't care who shot him, but I remember not caring
while the adults watched.

The Titanic was found? They thought
we
always knew where it was.

Wrong again.

Michael Jackson has always
been white.

I know Thriller.

Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and
Alabama are places, not groups.

Classic rock is still big. Wayward Son is a personal
favorite of mine.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam
containers.

Wrong again. Keeps the hot side hot and the cold side
cold, right?

There has always been
MTV.
They don't have a clue how to use a
typewriter.

Took my first typing class on one.

Do you feel old yet? Pass this on
to other oldtimers!!

Sorry to rain on the old-timers parade. Or maybe I
just made everyone feel a bit younger. Wait five
years and this might be accurate.

Zach Wolff
University of Arizona