Re: Noise cancellation

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:51:34 -0600 brian whatcott <inet@INTELLISYS.NET>
writes:
Steve Richardson writes:

I am curious about noise canceling done in machinery. I have heard
that they isolate the waveform, etc and send in interference to cancel
noise
and/or vibrations. I have also heard of this being tried near airports
(which I find hard to believe). Does anyone have experience and/or
information relating to this?

I recall that the headsets of military pilots were equipped
with noise cancelling interference so the pilots could
hear and understand weak communications in a noisy
aircraft. I'm not sure if they still do or not.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where guests learn to tune out unwanted conversations at our
noisy cocktail parties without resorting to noise-cancellation earphones)