ice sculptures

I need to make a large ice block for an ice sculpture.  My local iceman tells me that sculpture ice is a special order and quite expensive.  Apparently, one cannot chisel an ordinary block of ice , as it will easily brake or split.  Is this true and if so, why?
Can one easily make a block of sculpture ice?  If yes, can anyone help me with the recipe?  Also how does one get around the problem of ice expansion upon freezing (container problem)?

Thank you

Yvon Jean
phys@nt.net