Re: Snake Oil

If we are to maintain a 'scientific' bias (as I would prefer to do) than any
treatment that produces results (changes in the initial condition) then
should have a biochemical basis. That basis could be a subtle shift in the
brain chemistry and could account for the 'placebo' effect. Such
biochemical changes may be currently very difficult to detect (without real
time dissections of the subject's brain ;-( ), but with our 'bias' we
should believe they are there. In cases of pain relief, positive results
ARE real and should not be scoffed at. If one can relieve pain by pure
'will power' --somehow triggering a change in the brain chemistry that
transmits the pain signals--then so be it. The real problem come when the
'placebo' might cause a temporary cessation of pain without doing anything
for the underlying cause. This can give false hope to the patient.

Rick