Re: where there's heat there's flames

At 10:15 AM -0500 1/8/00, Michael N. Monce wrote:

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Jim Green wrote:

> Good Grief, John, now we are trying to learn physics from AltaVista? Is
> there a claim here that a population who learns physics from BillNye and
> which watches TV in prime time should understand it correctly. Do you
> realy want to VOTE on physics concepts??? Wow!

But, isn't that what we really do??? A new idea is introduced. We
go into the lab, test it. Report results. Everybody votes as to whether we
did the experiment correctly, whether the results are meaningful vis-a-vis
the new idea, etc. Eventually, we all vote as to whether we accept this
idea as a meaningful part of physics or not. It seems that we only accept
a principle when the majority of physicists agree on its validity. Sure
sounds like voting to me; although with very well-informed voters. :)

I think that some people would prefer that this topic not be
mentioned unless we present it with the Grand Canonical Ensemble
rigor.

britton@academic.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936