Snake Oil

Note: Cross posted Phys-l/Physhare

I wonder if any of your students have enquired about "Magnetic Therapy?"

Mayhaps I missed it but I don't remember postings on "magnetic therapy". What brings it to mind at this time is a catalog from a "Lifestyle" company which has at least 14 pages out of 47 featuring magnetic therapy devices. The most memorable device is a "love magnet" which "expands blood vessels and improves blood suply in the genital area when you carry it in your pocket!

The sections called: "How magnetic therapy works" states:  Magnetic therapy works with the magnetism of your own cells to regulated blood-flow and circulation...your body's natural pain-relieving system. The magnetic field created by magnetic therapy does not heal—it merely aids cells in creating an optimum environment for healing. Your own body takes over from there.

Several scientific studies (all uncited) on magnetic therapy have proven the powerful effect magnets can have on muscular pain, diabetes related foot pain, fibromyalgia and sports injuries...

Magnetic therapy benefits: Enhanced circulation and blood flow; increased flexibility; faster healing and inflammation relief; improved conform in joints, muscles and even bones; greater energy and overall well-being."

I think it's our responsibility to deal with "JUNK SCIENCE" in the classroom. Does anyone have any data that supports magnetic therapy?

Comments???

Ray Rogoway

--
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep