Re(2): Student Evaluations of Teaching

I quote from Prof. Michael Bliss's biography of Sir Fredrick Grant Banting
(Nobel winner for the discovery of Insulin), "Banting: A Biography,
McClelland and Stewart, 1984. "In July 1908, after two years at high
school, he took his junior matriculation examinations. The passing grade
was 33 out of 100. Fred's marks were: English Composition, 30; English
Literature, 39; English Grammar 26; British and Canadian History, 46;
Ancient History, 42; Algebra, 40; Geometry, 41; Arithmetic and Mensuration
[?], 40; Physics, 24; Chemistry, 52. His Physics and Chemistry averaged
out to a pass, but he had to repeat his English Composition paper and pick
up French and Latin to matriculate . . ."

"Little is known about Banting's first year in university [General Arts,
Victoria College, University of Toronto] . . . His grades are on record.
The passing mark was 40 out of 100. Banting obtained 40 in Latin, 40 in
English, 50 in Mathematics, 43 in Biology, 53 in Greek and Roman History,
35 in German, and 25 in French . . .

I've left a bit out. He didn't pass all his supplements, wasn't allowed
into second year. Got into Medical School by special petition, on
condition he complete his failed arts courses.

Prior to 1967, the Province of Ontario had Province wide grade 13 High
School exams. An Ontario Scholar (80% or greater average) was given a
chunk of cash about equal to one year's tuition fee. I'm told that darn
few got them. In 1976, (when I got mine, the list was not short), the
exams were about a decade gone, the money was down to $100, tuition fees
were about $700. Lately, the lists are truly long, the money is zero, and
tuition fees are about 3 or 4 k.

Mark inflation is a problem. It is not a new problem. Perhaps soon, if
you don't get 100%, you shouldn't pass? The new Ontario High School grade
system has 4 levels, only one for below 50%, but the percentage won't be
given. Time was 40 to 49 was a "redeemable failure."

I teach Evening School, usually a Grade 11 Biology course, prep for the
Grade 13/Ontario Academic Credit (University track course). By exam time
I rarely have anyone left around that is going to get below 40%, but I do
find myself not recommending a credit the odd time (pass is nominally 50,
effectively a couple marks below), and have marks ranging to the 90's,
shewed to the upper end. The vast majority of my students are High School
Grads, University Students and Grads, are not rare.

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
I have studied Mark's web page and warmly concur that grading is just
getting out of hand. For example, do I understand correctly that at the
likes of Stanford only A's and B's are given -- with the arrogant belief
that all C and lesser students just have not been admitted.

But what I want to know is whether it matters --- as long as everyone
knows
what is going on.

Can't we have a system where -- like at Lake Wobegone (I think it is),
all
the students are above average.

I am in a dialogue with the principal of the local Middle School where
their Honor Roll was just published in the newspaper: It would seem that
20% of the 6th graders are getting a 4.00 and 50% are on the honor Roll
with a grade of 3.667 or better.

Is there any comment re this situation?

Does anyone think that this is a disservice to the students?

TX

Jim Green