Re: sailing upwind?

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Thanks for the description, John, it was a real New Year gift.
I hope your message will lead to other working models and to
descriptions of them on our list. In particular I would like to
hear about a boat floating directly into the wind. Was it ever
patented? Was it ever tried? If it is possible in principle then
why not in practice? ...

Rolling friction can be reduced (without introducing slippage)
more effectively than water resistance. I am still skeptical about
the working aquatic version. But not as skeptical as before. ...

FWIW, an excerpt from "AUTOGIRO BOATS - History 1980-1995" at
http://www.webstrand.org/yachts/auto/hist4.htm . If true, the claim
that the boat speed was about the same in *any* wind direction would
appear to require that the boat and wind turbine system extracted power
from the wind with virtually no aerodynamic drag.

"... Then, around 1984, there was Jim Wilkinson, who also teamed up with
Neil Bose to put an 24' diameter wind turbine on his 26' Sirrocco
catamaran, REVELATION. They did a lot of tests on this boat -
measuring the boat speed in all different wind speeds and directions.
It seems to do about the same speed in any wind direction. This was an
ideal cruising boat, requiring very little work from the crew, but it
did not go very fast - going fast was not really the point - it was
meant to be a low-effort fun boat. ..."