Re: sailing upwind

At 13:24 12/31/99 -0500, John D wrote:

Actually it was on wheels. The air-turbine used the propeller from a model
airplane. The linkage was implemented using his kid's construction-toy
kit, which included a couple of what I'm guessing to be 4:1 gearbox pods,
for an overall mechanical advantage of 16:1 if vague memory serves....
The air came from a blow dryer.

The result was quite impressive. It took a pretty stiff breeze to overcome
static friction and turbine blade stall, but once the thing started moving
it moved quite smartly. Everyone who saw it couldn't help but smile to see
the thing attracted to the blower.

It left no doubt that the aquatic model would work just fine, especially if
it had some angle-of-attack control on the turbine blades to help with
starting.

This was a truly splendid puzzle.
Nobody I assume, disagrees that momentum is conserved in this model?

And so we appear to have a paradox: backward momentum is reduced through
the air prop's disk, and forward momentum is gained by the car's forward
movement. A net gain in momentum, one could suppose?

This is fully the equal of New Scientist's perpetually moving bicycle
wheel at a science oriented show some years ago!
It perhaps illustrates that physicists are not the best folks to
detect sleight of hand from magicians.

This is what I think you should consider.
1) It was an aircraft model propeller (This is optimised to increase
the momentum of the airstream, not to extract momentum)
2) It needed a stiff breeze from a fan. (This is a far from uniform
source, naturally enough)

Method: Play a stiff breeze into a *part* of an airplane prop.

The driven surface is inefficiently driven.
The remainder of the disk drives (relatively still) air rearwards.

Net result: an *increase* in momentum through the integrated prop
disk surface.

This allows a surplus thrust force for propulsion.
Wonderful!

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK