Re: Need Ideas

High their!

I like the simple pendulum --- because with a little care and direction the
students will find the pendulum "not so simple." I accidentally found this
when teaching a lab at Ventura J.C. (a long time ago when C.C.'s were J.C.'s).

At least one student discovered that it was not isochronos. I reminded them of
the derivation .. ah haa!

With a heavy bob and long "l" they can easily measure a difference in period
with varying amplitudes. I never had the opportunity to relate the data to sine
(x) instead of x. Seems this will be particularly easy now that most labs now
have Vernier and other computer data collection systems. [Is this now "old
hat", and I've missed it because I been away from "elementary" teaching for so
long?]

bc

Raacc@aol.com wrote:

I have a new course starting next semester and need some ideas. The course
will concentrate on graphical analysis with some additional miscellaneous
topics. In general, the course will cover graphical techniques to find the
relationship of a set of data pairs (not concentrating on theory) and written
reports discussing the analysis will be a fundamental part of the course.

So, I am looking for simple experiments/projects that show linear, quadratic,
exponential, power, or sinusoidal relationships, etc. I've listed some
topics below, and need more ideas. The course is not concentrating on any
one science area, so topics from biology, chemistry and other fields are also
welcome. Ideas can include in-school experiments, out-of-school experiments,
or data that is available from other sources such as the internet.

Thanks,

Bob Carlson

Possible Topics:

Linear:
Resistance as a function of length
Constant velocity
Z versus atomic number and n+p versus atomic number
Continental drift? Is there data on the internet?
Circumference versus diameter

Quadratic:
Dropped ball
Fan starting

Log-log:
Planet period versus mean distance from sun
Period of a simple pendulum
Resistance as a function of cross section area
Areas and volumes of geometrical shapes

Semi-log:
Newton's Law of Cooling
Bacteria growth
Light intensity as a function of distance
Light absorption as a function of plastic thickness
Shake pennies and remove heads
Radioactive decay
Compound interest
Capacitor voltage versus time

Sinusoidal:
Mass-spring system
Annual temperature for a city
Rotating wheel

Miscellaneous:
Finding the heights of buildings using a protractor
Conservation laws
Height of a bouncing ball versus the number of bounces
Use a protractor, compass and ruler to derive sine, cosine & tangent for
various angles