Re: Student Evaluations of Teaching

I grant that not all are as lucky as I and that I have a good situation but,
it can be done effectively. I would imagine that if someone watched your
classes, labs, and saw how questions were answered, etc. they could tell
where improvement was needed. They could also tell if a person was
incompetent. I think that people are afraid of having other people involved
because they fear judgment. If people shared more and invited people into
their classes before the dean, etc. had to get involved, if things were more
collaborative, struggling people could get help rather than they continue to
get poor student evaluations, nothing happens, and they are not effective.

Steve, I don't share your assumptions: In a previous incarnation during a
rather stirring faculty meeting, the "senior" (ie tenured) faculty offered
to act individually as a mentor to each of the "junior" faculty within a
given department -- to sit occasionally in their classes and point out
helpful teaching ideas and to guide their individual research.

After the meeting, in a quiet moment, I went to the office of the faculty
senate president and asked him to propose a few parings -- just for
instance. He could not. In every case contemplated the junior faculty
member was a better teacher and was doing much better research than any
proposed senior faculty mentor.

The matter was dropped.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com