Re: Polygraph Screening

The polygraph discussion reminded me of this story, not really on topic:

Some years ago a new graduate student near the end of her first year here
came and told me she wanted to write a Master's Thesis with me. When I
asked her why she chose me, she said she'd checked out what everyone was
working on and I was the only faculty member working on topics (energy and
the environment) of zero interest to the military.

When she was finishing her thesis a little over a year later, I asked her
if she had any employment plans. She told me she was going to the
Washington, D.C. area to work for the Environmental Protection Agency,
naming a very specific position which I didn't realize existed (it didn't).
I was surprised, since she'd never asked me for any reference letters, and
I told her, "I didn't know you'd applied to work for EPA." "I haven't yet"
was her reply.

Two months later she called and told me she had the job and title she
wanted. Within a year I was meeting scientists from other parts of the
country who knew me only because she'd told them I was her major professor.
She's worked her way up since then, too.

Well, I knew from the beginning she was a very determined and motivated
student, but this still struck me as "off the scale."

Laurent Hodges, Professor of Physics
12 Physics Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-3160
lhodges@iastate.edu http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lhodges