Re: Einstein's Cross

I'll give you my answer/guess, since I've also been asked this question.
Imagine that the gravitational field of the lensing object is more or
less elliptical in presented area. The stationary radii (with respect
to azimuthal angle) of the centro-symmetric lens are at the ends of the
semimajor and semiminor axes of the ellipse, and that's where the
brightest parts of the image should be.

I think.

Leigh