Re: Publishing a book?

At 10:30 12/14/99 -0600, Carl Gaither wrote:

Publishing a book isn't really that difficult. The publishers really
know all about it.

... go to the internet and look that publisher up. Virtually everyone
of them have a page directed to writers and it explains in painful
detail how you go about submitting a MS to them.

You should have a cover letter stating what your book is about and where
it will fit in regards to the other books that are out there. Also, you
will have to usually have a well planned outline of the book along with
a pretty well devbeloped chapter of the book.
/// I'll tell you this much. I got my first book published with the
first publisher I sent the MS to. ///

Carl C. Gaither & Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither (Authors)
Statistically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
Physically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Physics and Astronomy
Mathematically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
Practically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Engineering
Medically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Dentistry, Medicine,
and Nursing
Scientifically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/StatBook/index.html

Interesting that Carl uses an English publisher.
I recall Winfield Hill reminiscing about the gestation of the
fabulously successful "Art of Electronics" he wrote with
Horowitz at Harvard.
They could not get a smidgeon of interest from an American house.
So finally, they went to Cambridge University Press and struck
the mother lode.

It is an article of faith among fiction writers by the way, that
one should shop at least thirty publishers before getting
discouraged - there are just so many stories of the nineteen
times rejected MS making it big.

By contrast, intending poetry writers might consider the
vanity press or content themselves with self publishing.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK