Spy Satelites

I advise a youth group for my church and while talking with
a couple of teenage boys the subject of spy satelites came
up. One of the boys mentioned that he saw in a Scholastic
News Magazine that the U.S. has spy satelites that can read
(resolve) the date on a dime from space. I schoffed at that
remark but told the boys that I would look into the matter.
Does anyone on this list have solid information that I could
take back to these curious boys?