Re(2): Physics Textbook

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
Hewitt is popular with many high school teachers, but even his
book is IMO too narrow for a first course.
Regards,
Jack
I use Hewitt for my General Physics ( Conceptual Physics ) Course. A nice
survey but lacking in rigor. I would ned to have a lot of supplemental
applications if I were teaching from that book for more mathematically
talented students. It addresses every topic that would be suitable for
high school introduction.

As I said, the text choice depends on the philosophy of the teacher. I am
concerned about the term "narrow" used here, Jack. One of the results and
interpretations of the TIMMS report was that American education is " a
mile wide and an inch deep". I feel that is what you are promoting.

I agree that it is a sadness that students are unaware of the magnificent
systems of the heavens, but is that the role of the first Physics class.
For you it seems "yes", for me "no". I assume students have some knowledge
of that as I teach Physics and will use it as good examples of Physics
principles. I guess that is why there needs to be a variety of texts.

Cheers,

Ken Fox
AP/IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School