Re: textbook revisions

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
Although the order of topics in the early editions of
PSSC physics is what catches one's attention and seems
most radical at first, I don't think that's what made
it such an exceptional textbook. The new editions use
a more conventional order of topics, but what made it
exceptional then is the same as what makes it exceptional
now: --

Bravo!!!!

I learned more Physics, really learned it, by teaching the PSSC program
than by abything I had done previously in college. The reasons cited in
the original post are among my reasons for loving the approach. It builds
concepts from the roots, not delivering them on a platter. The problems
require thought, not just plug and chug.

I regret that I am not using the book still as AP and IB are not well
suited to its path. A shame. It goes deep, not wide. Thinking, not
memorization.

Ken Fox
AP/IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School