Re(2): Student question??

At 13.55 02/12/99 -0500, Clarence Bennett wrote:
>PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
>> Perhaps some of you can

At the Oct. meeting of the Mich local aapt meeeting, the featured speaker
was a pool shark-physicist, whe talked about how the rebound from the
cushion was not equal angle, and was dependent on the spin of the cue ball.

The cushion is not rigid and has high friction with the ball, so the spin
couples with the rebound energy.

...a phenomenon very well known to all of us who played for hours with
those amazing little rubber "superballs" that hop all over the place
because of a combination of high friction and elasticity. At least they
were amazing when they first came out - I guess we've got used to them.

Mark.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic,
34013 Duino TS, Italy.