Re(2): Student question??

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
Perhaps some of you can
help. He is a tennis player and was wondering why a ball
hit with top spin bounces higher than a ball sliced over the
net with backspin.

I am no expert and this question begs experimental and analytic analysis.
I do know that a back slice's trajectory will be much flatter than a top
spin trajectory. This will give a larger vertical component of the
momentum of the top spin ball. This will make it bounce higher than a ball
of equal speed but flatter trajectory. The top spin will also give it a
forward kick due to rotational effects which does make it have an
increased horizontal velocity.

I wish I could get top spin on my backhand....

Ken Fox
AP/IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School
Aurora, CO