Re: Pure mathematics and problems for physicists too?

Dear Jack,

Sorry to make your blood boil. I really wasn't making a proposal -- just
asking for opinions and insights.
Thanks for your strong, articulate and thoughtful response. I found myself
agreeing with most of your observations -- all the while wondering what I
had "proposed" that raised your dander.

Although I'm sure I have my math history right side up I absolutely agree
with your conclusion that "the pursuit of a solution to a practical problem
it is easy enough to get waylaid by a mathematical puzzle or a
computer-connected project."

When one is engaged in a research pursuit this usually the case. But what
about those students starting out -- who have yet to become so engaged?

I really didn't mean this to a be a chicken-or-the-egg type question (i.e.,
should theory drive research or research drive theory).

Best Regards,
K.