Re: COLLISION 2

This is the clearest statement of Jim's position on heat vs work that I
have seen.

Thank you. I keep striving for clarity.

In considering the various gradations between conduction, convection and
radiation, I fancy Jim would see a hot plate in contact with a water
container as heating the water.

Any action which gets the water hotter, I would call "heating". But not
necessarily connected with a DQ.

I reckon Jim might allow that if the contact method were to be replaced
by a gas flame playing hot air on the water pot, it would yet be heating
the water.

Yes

But if a 'heat' lamp replaces the gas flame or the hotplate, then it
seems this is not heating but working the water into boiling...
...because there is no physical contact with a higher temperature
reservoir.

No. Any action which gets that water hotter I would call "heating" BUT at
the same time I would say that the action did a kind of WORK on the system
-- even if the action consists only of molecules bashing other molecules --
and changing their average KE.

If this same heat lamp were placed beneath the water pot, and played
on a plate in contact with the pot, then the pot would be heated
even though the (radiatively heated) plate was worked.

In the case of radiative heating I am lost, except to say that "something"
must do work on the water/system. I would only very cautiously talk about
"photons" in the case.

Remember that ALL heating (dE>0) is by doing WORK. What remains is the
partitioning of that "work" into DQ and DW -- in cases where it
matters. In the case of the piston/cylinder this is easy. For other
processes this is NOT so easy.

I am still looking for another piston/cylinder-like example BTW. I don't
see that the spring will satisfy - at least until I can calculate DS for a
spring-like process. Now someone will repeat the suggestion that I use
DS=IntDQ/T THAT WON'T WORK!

What is clear is that DQ is probably NOT always due to a temperature
difference between a thermal reservoir and the system despite the common
belief. If we want dS to be DQ/T, it surely is not!

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen