Re: Thermo/Sidebar (signatures please)

You see below what my mail system gives me for information. It does not tell
me who wrote the message; all I'm told is that this message came from
Phys-L.

Please sign your messages.

Thanks.

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu

At 08:03 PM 11/25/99 -0700, Jim Green wrote:

in my attempt to be as general as possible (as is my want in
asking questions), I do include stat mech in classical
physics and I even
extend this to thermo ...

Sounds sensible to me.

On the back-side of that coin, there are cases where it
*does* make sense
to pretend not to know something. For instance, re-doing
geometry without
the parallel postulate was quite fruitful.

Still, the main point is that AFAIK there is no
self-consistent classical
theory, and we shouldn't apologize for making nonclassical arguments
whenever that's the shortest path to the right answer.

although my dear friend Sadi would not be all that happy.

Are you sure about that? Carnot was a pretty smart dude.
There are some
prissy pedants who try to construct a purely classical
thermodynamics, but
Carnot wasn't one of them.