Re: Amplitude and pitch of sound waves

At 10:09 AM 11/29/99 -0500, Michael Edmiston wrote:
(2) The lower octaves are not shrunk, they are also stretched. In the
wording I was using earlier, you have to tune the lower octaves more
and more flat as you go down the piano.

Right.

By the way, John Denker is correct... it's usually called "stretching"

When I responded to Denker and said I could call it sharp if I wanted
to, I was just being mischievous.

I figured as much. Thank you for saying so.

While were on the subject, I was dead wrong when I said musicians don't
define octaves as a factor of two. The opening words of Piston's _Harmony_
define an octave to be "exactly" a factor of two. Sheesh.

Michael wrote (Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:41:47 -0500)

They use all definitions. Many of them think they are the same thing...

which evidently is, for better or worse, about the size of it.

I don't use a specific formula and I don't recommend a
formula. I let the piano "tell me" how it "wants to be tuned."

Right. A rough statement of such a formula might have pedagogic value for
about 10 seconds, to give the newbie a clue of how big the phenomenon is.