Re: Definition of heat [and S]

At 09:46 11/27/99 -0500, Ludwik wrote:
/// we never know which part of dU, gained by an
object, came in the form of d'Q and which came in the form
of d'W. This is like not knowing which part of water in the
Atlantic Ocean came from which river. ///
Ludwik Kowalski

I received a note the other day from a person who loves machines,
about selecting water chillers. He takes care of the steam plant
in a mill which is served by a 150kW steam generator (a 200HP boiler).

He was interested in reducing the injurious on/off cycling
during the Summer's reduced steam demand. So he was considering
absorption type commercial water chillers as an alternative to
ordinary air conditioning - because he could use hot water or waste
steam in this application.

His initial question was:
"How many pounds of steam (10psi) is a ton of air conditioning?"

This does indeed sound like one of those 'furlong per fortnight' deals
at first blush. He pointed me to a commercial URL with specs for
some absorption chillers.
For your interest, here is the data on the 10 ton chiller.

INPUT:
Hot water in: 190.4F
out: 181.4F at 37.8 gall/min

COOLING WATER:
Water in: 85F
out: 94F at 64.2 gall/min

OUTPUT:
Chilled water out: 48.2F
return: 57.2F at 26.4 gall/min with 5.5 psi drop.

You can see that the heat flows are 20,412 BTU/hr, 34,668 BTU/hr and
14,256 BTU/hr
The specification calls for 170100 BTU/hr heat input for the 10 tons
of chilling ( 12000 BTU/hr)

In the course of digesting this information for the questioner, I came
across a text book note which mentioned in passing, that in comparison
with gases which store considerable energy in compression, the liquids,
being incompressible - almost, store little energy when compressed:
so that the contribution of heat versus work to thermodynamic energy
is greatly towards heat in the case of liquids - such as this absorption
chiller, I suppose.

Certainly, it was notable that this ten ton unit called for a modest
60 watts of electrical control power. The sort of figure that gives one
hope of escaping the usual domestic gotcha in a utilitry outage:
if you have no volts, you have no gas heating or air conditioning.

All of which is a response to the suggestion that you can't know if
dQ or dW is responsible for dU.
My response is; in the case of liquids and solids, you can make
a very shrewd guess!

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK