Re: Definition of heat [and S]

Let me paraphrase JohnD (see below) in order to be corrected,
if necessary.

There are no advantages in emphasizing that heat is "energy in
transfer". Heat is a form of energy. Thermal energy is heat.
It is not wrong to say that the heat lost by an object A is later
present in objects B or C. The caloric analogy is not totally
wrong. Heat can flow but it is not a material substance.

There are more important issues to deal with; some students
are not aware of the fundamental difference between heat and
temperature. Trying to avoid dS=dQ/T may be challenging to
some creative thinkers but many teachers are used to it. They
need to be persuaded to abandon this macroscopic approach.

Ludwik Kowalski
-----------------------------
John Denker wrote:

I agree that there is a deplorable lack of agreement as to the definition
of heat.

*) The first definition (heat = thermal energy) is/was used by Carnot
(1824), Boltzmann (1872), Feynman (1963), and every experimental
physicist I've asked about it (including people with PhDs from
California, Cornell, Duke, MIT, and Stanford).

*) The second definition (heat = heatflow) was can be traced as far back as
Slater (1939; Dover reprint 1970) and was advocated by Zemansky in his
1970 _Physics Teacher_ article. This definition has made it into a number
of textbooks and even into the current version of the Encyclopedia Britannica:
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/6/0,5716,40566+1,00.html

*) One can dig up additional even-more-unorthodox definitions, but they
are not worth discussing.

..... [snip snap] .....

Longer-term recommendation: The heatflow definition has got to go.

In my judgement
-- The technical arguments in its favor are invalid.
-- It has no practical advantage when doing thermodynamic calculations.
-- It has no pedagogical advantage, and has serious pedagogical
disadvantages.