Re: Less is More (but this is long!)

At 09:28 11/26/99 -0500, Ed Eckel wrote...

"Perhaps real high school teachers will share some ideas on the
subject of "less is more". "

While I teach in an independent school with a highly motivated and
socio-economically privileged student base, I will take a crack
at Ludwik's request.

First, let me define "more" in two ways.
///
"How can an outsider tell if a kid has taken my physics
course". I would like to think certain habits of mind
(reflective consideration,
willingness to share and modify understanding, ability to
identify testable predictions, use of multiple representations
to truly study and communicate about
a phenomenon) are explicitly evident in everything the kid does
and says. At a
minimum, the kid won't say "I had no idea what he was talking
about but I still
got the right answers."

Ed Eckel
Georgetown Day School

I may not know how Ed rates as a physics master, but I do know he
writes one heckuva good essay!

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK